Foods To Eat After A Workout
Many people don't tend to think that they should be eating when they are done with their workout. However, eating after your workout is very important. Continue reading to learn about some great post-workout foods.
Why Does It Matter?
Choosing what you eat after your workout is important for many reasons. You want to find foods that can be easily digested. You also want foods that contain many nutrients. Some things you want in your post-workout food are protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
There are many things you can eat that make for great post-workout foods. Next time you just got done with the gym, try these out:
Protein helps repair and build muscles in the body. These muscles are broken down when you exercise and it is important that you get protein so you can build new muscle. Some great foods that contain the protein are:
- Lean Meats: Lean meats such as turkey or chicken can provide a substantial amount of protein.
- Fish: Certain kinds of fish, like salmon and tuna, provide your body with protein along with the omega 3 fatty acids.
- Chocolate Milk: Chocolate milk can prove to be a great source of protein with 8 grams in each cup.
- Eggs: Eggs are also a great source of protein and are very versatile in cooking.
When you workout your body is using its glycogen stores. These need to be replenished after the workout. Some great options to get carbs after your workout are:
- Fruit: There are many fruits that can be beneficial for many reasons. Berries have antioxidants, apples contain fiber, and bananas are agreat source of potassium.
- Whole Grain Foods: whole grain foods like bread and cereal can provide many carbohydrates along with keeping you feeling full for longer.
- Crackers: Crackers are great because they are a light carbohydrate and can be taken on the go.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal has many nutrients and also contains complex carbohydrates which can help maintain muscle mass.
Contrary to popular belief, fats do not slow down digestion and inhibit the absorption of nutrients when eaten after a workout. They might slow down the absorption of your meal, but they will not reduce the benefits. Try these foods next time you are looking to add healthy fats into your post-workout meal:
- Avocado: These fruits are amazing because they are a healthy fat that keeps you feeling full for longer amounts of time. For more information about avocados, check out one of our previous articles here.
- Nuts: These are great because they also provide a little bit of protein in each one as well. If you want to eat nuts after a workout then try to reach for ones like almonds.
- Nut Butter: Peanut butter can be a great snack for after a workout. Try pairing it with sliced bananas to help decrease the risk of cramps.
- Coconut Oil: According to the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism coconut oil has the potential to enhance overall exercise performance. This could be used before and after a workout to help maximize benefits.
There are many great post-workout foods that can provide your body with the nutrients that it needs to build new muscle. Be sure to check out our products page to find a supplement that is right for you.